beloved World of Potter-Fellows,
I am opening a topic that was declined once. I was very sad when this
happend because I know many Users wished for it. I am talking about
the school subject ‘Alchemy‘. So today, I present to you five
reasons why this subject should be taught in Hogwarts:
It is an elective subject offered at Hogwarts for 6th and 7th years
- It would be more realistic when we teach this subject, because Rowling herself said that this is a subject in Hogwarts. Also many WoP-Sites even have books about this subject in their libraries.
It is an ancient study and as those very important to preserve
- You can compare Alchemy with chemistry. Our Chemistry is kind of the modern/muggle Version of Alchemy but it is much more than potions. In Potions they would never teach you how to brew gold. It is a combination from many different subjects (Potions, Transfiguration, Astronomy, Herbology). The teacher for Alchemy could make it a requirement to have the OWL in those subjects if you want to take the class. Beside the fact this subject is offered in the last two years in Hogwarts it shows that this is a very important subject to teach the students how it is to work as a savant. And we know, that there are still witches and wizards who are actively studying and practicing Alchemy in the twentieth century.
There are tons of references in the Harry Potter Books
- For example ‘Philosophers Stone‘, ‘Nicholas Flamel‘ (who is not only in Harry Potter but a real alchemist. JKR has not imagend him by herself), Albus Dumbledore himself was an alchemist and as a little fun fact: Rubeus Hagrids and Albus Dumbledores firstnames were chosen based on alchemy. They mean ‚red‘ and ‚white‘ and that are both colors being essential mystical elements of the process. Also the subject was first mentioned in the first book (Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone ← It‘s in the title, come on guys!)
It is a philosophical subject
- Discussing topics like having the power to live eternally, transmutating lead to gold or perform other alchemistic wonders to make your life easier or more perfect could be part of the syllabus as well. Historically Alchemy has always been the art of perfecting both the human body and soul, as the so well known Transmutation (lead to gold) is more of an analogy for human perfection. Students could discuss what follows if everything is perfect and maybe all to equal.
More possibilities after your graduation in Hogwarts
- Focussing on the future of WoP, it would be such a pleasure if students would have the chance to attend alchemy classes. With their knowledge they could support Healers (just as an example, beside many others).
So. I hope you understand now why it is so important to teach this subject in Hogwarts! Please do not decline it a second time. It would break many little hearts.
Customer support service by UserEcho